Fertility after an abortion
About 20% of pregnancies end with an abortion, which usually occurs before the 20th week. For the most part, the main cause is on the development of the fetus, being problems that occur when the embryo begins its process of dividing and growing.
In general, a very important piece of information is that abortion occurs only once, only 1% of women, unfortunately, suffer another abortion again, this indicates that the other 99% of women are capable of becoming pregnant, without presenting problems, giving birth to their babies completely healthy and safe.
When abortion is spontaneous, it does not affect a woman's fertility capacity, whereas an induced abortion or a curettage procedure, if they can affect your fertility capacity and your life. So it is important to recognize what type of abortion we go through, this will give us more precise information on how we can deal with it.
Types of abortion
As we know, the term abortion is given to the loss of the fetus, before the 20th week of pregnancy, regardless of whether it originated naturally or was the product of a decision, both are identified as abortion, which if it changes is how and how these affect the fertility of the Mother.
Also known as natural abortion, it has symptoms that begin with abdominal pain and later bleeding with a high intensity, very similar to menstrual pain. It occurs in the first weeks of gestation and therefore does not usually affect fertility, the earlier an abortion occurs, the less impact on the mother's health and fertility.
But in cases where the abortion occurs with the most advanced fetus, it is necessary to apply a technique, which will clean the uterine walls to remove all embryonic tissues, it is a quick procedure between 15 and 20 minutes, but extremely important in case doing it wrong affects a woman's fertility.
If you've been through a spontaneous abortion , you should not worry about any problem to get pregnant again, since it is very rare that you go through the same episode again, on the other hand, when the abortion reoccurs, different studies should be done to identify the problem and look for possible solutions.
For this type of abortion, the mother is aware that she wants to stop the pregnancy, so she resorts to different techniques, the main one is if it is within the first eight weeks, if so, the mother resorts to pills.
If the pregnancy is more advanced, surgery should be done, like any surgery there are risks, which can leave you infertile.
Risks of abortion
When we go to professionals in the sector, and we talk about abortion, it is common to hear that an abortion is low risk. On average, the vast majority do not have a negative impact on their fertility and health, on the contrary, when the uteruses of women who have suffered abortions are checked, it is almost impossible to know if they have suffered from any.
Of course, this happens for spontaneous abortions, but those abortions that are induced usually generate fertility problems for the future, since being involved in a surgical intervention, there are many conditions that can be:
- Problems in the cervix.
- A perforation of the uterus.
- Vaginal bleeding
- Tearing parts of the female reproductive system.
- Cause an internal infection such as an abscess on the inside of the abdomen.
All these problems affect your ability to get pregnant again, in addition, when exposed to a surgical intervention, there may be other complications, which can damage other internal organs, thus affecting your overall health.
It is a fact, and abortion is something that in recent years has become more common, there have even been cases where the woman has an abortion without even knowing that she was pregnant, but as we know 99% of the cases of spontaneous abortion , it does not happen again, therefore, it is important to always carry out check-ups to have security and peace of mind.
In cases where having an abortion has become something recurrent, it is when we must go to a specialist who determines the cause, knowing the diagnosis can look for the different ways of solution, in order to achieve a successful pregnancy.
It is also important to know that those women who have undergone a uterine dilation, due to an abortion, have a high probability of causing an insufficiency known as an incompetent neck, which begins to dilate and the solution to this problem is to perform a procedure , through stitched sutures to close the cervix.
The most important thing before all this and especially when having an abortion, is to go to a specialized place where they give you all the information you need to face it, we not only talk about medical check-ups, but also how you feel and what you think In this regard, that is why we invite you to CELAGEM, a clinic that has staff from different areas including psychology, offering you the tools to face this process, overcome it and continue with that beautiful dream of forming your family.